The War Poets Association promotes interest in the work, life and historical context of poets whose subject is the experience of war. It is interested in war poets of all periods and nationalities, with a primary focus on conflicts since 1914 – mainly the First World War, Spanish War 1936-39, Second World War and Ireland. There are already many societies dedicated to individual war poets; one of the WPA’s aims is to work with these and others to help promote joint activities and events of mutual interest.
Highlights of Some forthcoming and recent events and news:
- 11 October 2018: Jean Moorcroft Wilson and William Graves to Discuss New Robert Graves Biography, Followed by Presentation of the 2018 Robert Graves Poetry Prize, at the Wimbledon Bookfest.
- 16 October 2018: New book: Peace At Last: A Portrait of Armistice Day, 11 November 1918 by Guy Cuthbertson (Yale U. P., October 2018) Now Available for pre-order.
- 20 October 2018, 10:30–17:30: Siegfried Sassoon Fellowship Annual Conference and AGM, Marlborough College, Wiltshire, SN8 1PA. Further details: https://www.facebook.com/events/280041856127579 or visit SSF website.
- 27 – 30 October 2018: WPA/Eyewitness Tours Battlefields Tour, ‘The World’s Worst Wound’, centenary commemoration of the lives and writing of the poets who fought on the Western Front, 1914 – 1918.
- 1 November 2018, 6.30 p.m. to 7.45 p.m: Guy Cuthbertson to give the 2018 Chatterton Lecture on Poetry on Edward Thomas, at the British Academy, London.
- 3 November 2018: Poetry of the First World War: A Day of Talks at Southwark Cathedral, London.
- 11 November 2018: WPA Annual Subscription Renewals due.
War Poetry Review 2017-2018
This latest issue of the journal was published in December 2017 and is available in print to members of the WPA. Please join the Association or renew your subscription to receive your printed copy. Click on the cover image here to read the list of contents. An online version is available via the password-controlled War Poetry Review page, here. Details about the journal and how to subscribe are also available on this page.
If you have any feedback on this website, please do not hesitate to e-mail the WPA at email@example.com or click on the ‘Contact Us’ tab above to send us a message.